Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Chapter From The Night Time Zookeeper

Chapter 1. Stealth Giraffes

I swelled with pride that I had managed to spot them. I had hidden in a bush all night, listening to the Lions roar and the Vultures caw, just waiting. I watched their silhouettes as they slowly made their way through the grazing field in perfect graceful silence. They had been out, again. However, this time I had spotted them and that was considerable compensation for laying in a bush all day and all night.

I was in Zone 1 of my Zoo when I first noticed them. The day had passed and the only light came from the moons ethereal glow that shrouded the distinct forms of my Giraffes in a supernatural light as they grazed against a backdrop of stars. It may sound crazy, but I have got to be the only zookeeper in the whole world who has a herd of ‘Stealth Giraffes’. ‘What are Stealth Giraffes you say?’ Well I maybe the only zookeeper in the world who can tell you. My Giraffes, for no reason or purpose that I can fathom, sneak out of the zoo every day to spy on humans. They hide everywhere, from retail outlets to bowling allies, from celebrity parties to cinemas, only to return each night to my zoo. They eat as much as they can and rest up before a new days spying begins. I once asked the daytime keeper if there was anyway he could stop the Giraffes escaping. His laugh was louder than a belt of thunder but contained more bitterness than humor. However, as I watched the Giraffes sneak back into the Giraffe house I finally understood the joke. These are the best stealth Giraffes in the world. He would have more luck trying to placate a Rhino with cookies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home